Mole Valley District Council, in partnership with key stakeholders, is transforming Leatherhead into a modern market town where people of all ages and abilities can shop, eat, relax and have fun.
Revitalising the High Street will be key to achieving the aspiration of transforming Leatherhead. The aim of the Leatherhead High Street Improvement Study is to develop public realm proposals for the short and long term to encourage greater activity, attraction and investment. Measures are required in the short term to maintain the viability of the High Street, whilst the long term improvements will need to align with the wider transformation of Leatherhead and will consequently take longer to deliver.
OBJECTIVES OF THIS STUDY
- To promote a strong sense of place, recognising social economics, providing a distinct and positive identity which respects the historic environment and character of Leatherhead
- Create a design solution for the High Street that enhances and protects the economic viability of the street and its contribution to the local economy and the Transform Leatherhead masterplan
- To design the public realm to address issues of highway safety and reduce opportunities for crime and anti-social behaviour within the context of good urban design principles
- To ensure that the quality of public realm provision can be sustained in the long term and through efficient and effective maintenance and management
- Value the contribution of High Street businesses and champion Leatherhead High Street as a source of civic pride and local identity
The process for developing the short and long term options for High Street has involved:
- Data collection and analysis, including pedestrian, cycle and vehicle movement surveys plus parking and loading surveys
- Stakeholder workshops to gain local views
- Identification of existing issues and ideas for improvements
- Evaluation of the ideas for improvements against the study objectives
- Development of scheme options for consultation
All feedback from the consultation will be assessed and used to inform which options are to be taken forward.