The modelling conclusions will be taken forward through two linked work streams:
- The Leatherhead Highway Improvement Package Phase 2: Detailed Feasibility Study
- Strategic & Major Road Network Improvements on the A24/A243/M25 Junction 9
PHASE 2: DETAILED FEASIBILITY STUDY
A traffic model is unable to take account of human behavioural characteristics and as a result detailed feasibility is needed to validate the modelling results. This will include improvements to pedestrian and cycling connectivity, public realm and highway safety. This will take approximately 12 – 18 months.
MAJOR ROAD NETWORK
The A24/A243 has been granted Major Road Network (MRN) status by the Department
for Transport. MRN status unlocks potential funding opportunities for improvements which meet the 5 central objectives below:
- Reducing congestion
- Supporting economic growth and rebalancing
- Supporting housing delivery
- Supporting all road users
- Supporting the strategic road network (motorway network)
Surrey County Council will be working with external partners such as Highways England, the Department for Transport and Transport for the South East to investigate potential solutions to known issues on the Strategic and Major Road Network. This is in order to seek third party funding and understand potential timescales for delivery.